The Heights Coalition, which everyone is invited to be a part of, had their April meeting earlier this week in the fellowship hall at New Tyler AME Church. We were fortunate to have a new member, Mr. Don Harrison, join the group. Mr. Harrison is a member of Highland Heights Methodist Church and a Spanish teacher with Memphis City Schools. Ms. Ladonna Tardy with iZONE schools is also a new member. Ms. Tardy always provides updates on Treadwell Elementary and Middle School and she is a wonderful addition to the Coalition. Mrs. Janet Boscarino with Clean Memphis was the special guest this month and she is helping us to prepare for the up-coming Spring Clean later this month. Below is a run-down of what was discussed at the April meeting.
- New Principals for Treadwell Elementary and Treadwell Middle will be announced at the end of April
- On April 13th members of Service Over Self will be at the Given Garden (at the corner of Given and Holmes) to begin spring planting
- New Tyler AME Church Clothes Closet and Food Pantry is no longer by appointment only – walk-ins are welcome every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month
- The First Works tutoring program is finalizing their plans for a Summer Camp for youth
- The Shelby County Health Department will be conducting health surveys over the next 6 months
- Volunteers for the Spring Clean will meet at Treadwell at 9 am April 27th
- In order to make the Spring Clean a success we need volunteers to help with the clean-up, serve as team leaders and set-up for the party after the clean-up
We had a wonderful meeting and if you would like to be a part of the next Heights Coalition meeting please plan to attend on May 7th at 7:00 pm at Highland Heights Baptist Church. We hope to see you there!